• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

BUSTED Spincar caught selling dealer data

Unfortunately the only way to avoid this is with a javascript blocker, but then alot of sites don't work. Plus Facebook has the 'pixel' which does not even rely on JS.

The only way that you could justify selling user data collected by your customers is if you were providing your product for free, selling a platform and then using it to harvest data is pretty scummy

Reactions: Alex Snyder
A few things I've done to make my own life more complicated to track:
  • Block all facebook related domains on my hosts file (facebook.com, fb.com, etc)
  • use PrivateInternetAccess VPN on all devices except my iPhone (it causes too many issues with the iPhone)
  • use the Brave browser to neutralize most tracking data - https://brave.com/how-brave-works-for-you
  • use a fake name and email address to signup for any services that have no business knowing who I am and have no inter-personal communication functionality
  • Stop installing free phone applications I have no intention to use
  • Stop leaving phone applications open in the background
  • Disabling cellular data for any phone apps that I don't want phoning home with my location
  • Turn Google's Ad Personalization off - https://adssettings.google.com/u/0/authenticated
There are many more things you can do, but I'm already at the point where my Facebook and Google profiles are entirely drunk and have no idea who I am, so it seems to be working well so far.

I've run that site before, and here's what's worse. When you shut some of those items down you will find that they belong to your DMS or other major vendor and they will pull out your contract showing that they are allowed to do it. Reynolds is by far the worst offender (read your contract carefully and you will see that they you've basically sold to them your customer database - you are paying THEM to profit from your customer data) but ADP and I'm suspecting Cox, plus others, do the exact same thing.

Huge shout out to Jeffrey Tognetti at DealerX for pointing this out. Folks, there is no other way to say this other than….

It is soooooo fucked up when a vendor you trust, and pay, takes your customer's data and sells it for their own profit.

How much of this is going on? Can we start a list of the assholes doing this crap?

View attachment 3758

from https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6431223296628441088/
How do we find out if they are doing this on our website? we use them at our porsche dealership

How do we find out if they are doing this on our website? we use them at our porsche dealership

At the moment they seem to have done the right thing and stopped the script. But I don't buy for one minute they aren't going to fire this right back up as soon as they think the smoke has cleared :bs:

They'll probably get smart and not make it so obvious next time. I hear they have deep relations with a data broker. Hard to believe selling dealers' data isn't a big part of their revenue stream.