• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Industry 1st! - Driven-Data Just Dropped a BOMB

We have a question that came through Podium Messenger:

ggpm said:
I'm curious about the definition of raw leads. In the report footer he says raw leads exclude duplicate and bad leads. Many dealers mark "bad" erroneously for no good reason. I'm also curious about the data showing what happens to shoppers who are duplicate leads submitters. Many, including me, would argue these are the best leads to get. I'm sure he's got info on close rate, profit, etc.

Somewhat technical answer:

We merge the changes in the lead record when the modified date of the row is greater than the refresh interval with the CRM provider to mirror what is in the dealer's CRM. We exclude lead statuses of duplicate and leads marked as bad. Note that each CRM has varying logic that we standardize in the integration layer prior to the insert into staging. This gives as an accurate data set. We try not to filter too much as that creates problems of our data not matching the CRM. It also creates scenarios where problems are not uncovered because we pre-filtered them from our dealer partners inside Driven Data.

In terms of dealers marking leads bad erroneously we do an analysis and catch this around on boarding and determine best path. It does happen. Regarding re-conversion, it depends how the dealer managed the lead in the CRM. Obviously the customer can not purchase twice with one inquiry (unless 2 car deal) so removing the duplicate creates the most accurate analysis of conversion.

System was designed for much more comprehensive reporting at the record level. The rolled up data is solid, especially for a report as straight-forward as this.

That 3PA (3rd Party Auto) index of yours is STUNNING!

@jon.berna wouldn't it be grand to hold the massive amounts of dealer marketing agencies accountable for their wares as well? Some form of a computation that takes into account their shabby SEO, content marketing and PPC management. Gosh, that would be useful... actually rank the agencies that talk such a big game.

I can think of quite of a few that frequent these waters.

Reactions: mikesayre
Third Party Classified (TPC) Lead Performance Thoughts:
Call in leads (not seen in this report) have a super high closing rate (vs email leads), but, the connection to CRM isn't fully automatic which makes the reporting highly dependent on the BDC/Sales team's training and skills. Most all of us know this so...

Dealers, what do you do to isolate call-in leads and measure them?
  1. Thought: What is your ratio of TPC phone call leads that are seen in CRM vs total TPC phone call leads. (e.g. A classified site generates 100 call leads, yet, only 15 are logged in CRM)
  2. Question: Is there a TPC platform that automatically drops in the callers PII* and the Vehicle Info on phone call leads?

Thank you, @jon.berna! Your report will create conversations that are so needed!

*PII = Personally Identifiable Information

You might recall:

https://forum.dealerrefresh.com/threads/what-lead-sources-are-truly-working.5611/page-2

http://content.drivendataconsulting.com/3rd-party-classified

DRIVEN DATA SCIENCE
2018 3RD PARTY CLASSIFIED PERFORMANCE
We compiled nearly 300,000 third-party leads from 2018 and broke them all down by appointment metrics, amount sold, quality leads (two forms of contact), and overall conversion. We even took it a step further to show the total and average gross profit made from each lead source.
  • Autotrader.com
  • CarGurus.com
  • Cars.com
  • Edmunds
  • TrueCar