• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Outgoing calls using Click to Call are being marked as SPAM

Jeff Kershner

Founder
Staff member
May 1, 2005
Awards
First Name
Jeff
When using the Click to Call feature in eLead CRM, our outgoing calls are now being marked as SPAM on caller-id. We never had this issue prior to our Dealer Group switching over to CallSource.

Admittingly, I'm not as well versed on telephony as I once was but if we are using our main business number for outgoing calls, why would they get marked as SPAM? It seems as if the connection is transferring something that allows the incoming caller id program to know it's being called using a click to call service.

CallSource says this is something eLead manages but our calls being marked as SPAM didn't happen until we switched.

Anyone have any ideas?

Duuuuuuude, this is super frustrating. It happened a few months back when I used Click-To-Call in Hubspot. So I stopped using it. Tried again earlier this month and it was not labelling me as spam anymore- YAY! Then today -.... it's baaaaaaaaaaaaaack. UUUrrrgghh.

MicrosoftTeams-image.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Received this from CallSource. They reached out to offer more support around the issue. We are currently running a few tests.

Regarding your outbound calls being shown as possible SPAM calls, unfortunately a lot of businesses are currently experiencing this problem. Because of the increase in actual SPAM calls and robocalls, there’s a lot of pressure right now from the FCC on phone carriers to implement more aggressive call blocking and labeling mechanisms. Unfortunately this means that a lot of legitimate calls are being labeled as SPAM as well.

We have taken the step of registering you dealership’s eLead outbound calling line to hopefully remedy this. The number registration goes through three telecom companies that oversee this. It can sometimes take up to 10 business days to process through all of them. Please let me know if you notice it getting better over time or if you’re still experiencing this issue.

In the meantime, I would make sure that you’re leaving a voicemail every time you place an outbound call if the customer doesn’t pick up. I’ve noticed that consumers tend to check their voicemails even if the call was labeled as a SPAM call, so this will greatly increase the chances that the consumer will call back and also pick up next time they see a call from that number.

Here is an article about the FCC’s call authentication efforts that gives more details:
Combating Spoofed Robocalls with Caller ID Authentication | Federal Communications Commission (fcc.gov)

I hope this is all helpful. As I mentioned, I am going to be doing everything I can to try and get this resolved for you ASAP.

In the meantime, please let me know if I can help with anything else.

Best Regards,
Ofer

Reactions: john.quinn
This has been happening for easily the last few years. Something that has helped is changing the "outbound" number that is being used but it's just a bandaid.

We usually don't find out this is happening until a while after it started.

My question to the phone companies reading this site is.. What are you doing to mitigate this problem in the future?

Maybe click to call just goes away? I dunno :huh?:

When using the Click to Call feature in eLead CRM, our outgoing calls are now being marked as SPAM on caller-id. We never had this issue prior to our Dealer Group switching over to CallSource.

Admittingly, I'm not as well versed on telephony as I once was but if we are using our main business number for outgoing calls, why would they get marked as SPAM? It seems as if the connection is transferring something that allows the incoming caller id program to know it's being called using a click to call service.

CallSource says this is something eLead manages but our calls being marked as SPAM didn't happen until we switched.

Anyone have any ideas?

VinSolutions user here. Just did a test and we aren't having this problem. We use our local numbers rather than an acquired through their system though, so maybe that's why?