• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Who's gonna purchase a .dealer domain? Post your Questions and Opinions!!

So close to pulling the trigger....

View attachment 8851

Now that's funny :rofl:

We are a .dealer client. I think some vendors should take notice as this is a great way to get a URL that can be used for your dealer clients. Although we haven't put it into practice yet, that is our plan for the .dealer string. It is far easier to use a shortener in a text message like vb.audi.dealer than it is to use audivirginiabeach.com for example.

but... it's a link in a text message. They don't need to type it in or remember it, they can just click the links. who cares if the link is bestaudidealerinvirginiabeachthatsbetterthanalltheotheraudidealersinviginiabeach.com?

but yeah, if you have a long URL and you think people would care, just use a URL shortener. Why go spend $1500+ a year to have a .dealer or .cars TLD when you can use bit.ly for free?

plus, there are massive SEO implications for switching your domain name to something else for non-SEO reasons...

Reactions: DrewAment
but... it's a link in a text message. They don't need to type it in or remember it, they can just click the links. who cares if the link is bestaudidealerinvirginiabeachthatsbetterthanalltheotheraudidealersinviginiabeach.com?

but yeah, if you have a long URL and you think people would care, just use a URL shortener. Why go spend $1500+ a year to have a .dealer or .cars TLD when you can use bit.ly for free?

plus, there are massive SEO implications for switching your domain name to something else for non-SEO reasons...

People are super cautious about what they click on in a text message, and there are character restraints. Nothing I'm speaking of has anything to do with SEO.

LOL -- #truth on the URL length. But a short URL does "look" nicer.

I think I have the shortest URL -- Press1toTalk is P1TT for short. I got the domain p1.tt - but primarily use it for shortener and redirects, and to shorten my email.

I think it comes down to cost vs benefit. .tt domains are $100/year -- no brainer. .dealer domains are $4000 a year - harder pill to swallow.

right - but changing a domain name DOES have a ton to do with SEO. And again, if we're worried about trust, why wouldn't they trust your actual URL? and character count shouldn't matter in a text message.

like Drew just said - getting a .dealer or .cars TLD is SUPER expensive just to use for a shortener or a redirect

LOL -- #truth on the URL length. But a short URL does "look" nicer.

I think I have the shortest URL -- Press1toTalk is P1TT for short. I got the domain p1.tt - but primarily use it for shortener and redirects, and to shorten my email.

I think it comes down to cost vs benefit. .tt domains are $100/year -- no brainer. .dealer domains are $4000 a year - harder pill to swallow.
Yeah we use rebrandly as our URL shortener with branded short domains (usually our main domain missing some vowels and consonants).

Why get a .dealer domain?
Because in the best case a domain squatter will get it for you.
Because domain whole sellers are greedy capitalists.
To make sure all your domains .com, .org, .net, .coffee, etc ... etc ... are in sync.

Why not?
Because, most normal people have been trained to look for .com.
It's more money to spend.

How about using QR codes on your business card or what ever?
Takes care of the problem of typing in a bunch a letters and symbols.