• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
What? No one wants to play?
There are only eight if you buy into Google's PR. Google's eight are rudimentary. Advanced attribution firms -- in and out of our space -- are all employing algorithms that are complex, took real time to develop and maintain, and give more insight into the customer journey and where the real influence is. And yes, our industry is behind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alexander Lau
So I guess we’re right back where we started. No closer to any real answers. This whole conversation is a snake eating itself.
I'm going to say that, if you aren't willing to place some trust in the Data Scientists, you won't be any closer to real answers. The eight attribution models you referenced @Chris Leslie, each have a place. The more complex the shopper journey, the more complex the attribution model needs to be. Our buyer's journeys are perhaps the most complex, hence complex algorithmic models. And that is the entire reason that applying a simplistic model like 'Last Click' doesn't offer any real insight. If sock manufactures can do it, so can we!

"We are being beaten by socks. SOCKS!"

The more complex the shopper journey, the more complex the attribution model needs to be.

I have to disagree here, Ed -- this is a rabbit hole/vortex. Like Alex said -- getting into psychology here.

It occurs to me that the tech industry has a vested interest in this complexity -- the more complex problems there are, the more problems tech can solve (and get paid to solve). The issue is that the tech is actually creating these problems, and tech companies aren't solving actual dealer problems anymore -- too busy getting sucked into the "vortex of complexity." No wonder dealers (in droves) are saying, "I just want to sell cars!"

Attribution is a red-herring beyond seeking and spotting trends.

Reactions: Chris Leslie
I have to disagree here, Ed -- this is a rabbit hole/vortex. Like Alex said -- getting into psychology here.

It occurs to me that the tech industry has a vested interest in this complexity -- the more complex problems there are, the more problems tech can solve (and get paid to solve). The issue is that the tech is actually creating these problems, and tech companies aren't solving actual dealer problems anymore -- too busy getting sucked into the "vortex of complexity." No wonder dealers (in droves) are saying, "I just want to sell cars!"

Attribution is a red-herring beyond seeking and spotting trends.
John -

My sense is, dealers want to avoid complexity and yes, they just want to sell cars. But, I feel the smart option is to partner with an attribution company that you can trust and outsource the heavy lifting to them. That way dealers can see which sources are actually influencing buyers on this complex journey (and not just the last source looked at). This empowers them to make smarter, better informed marketing decisions, squeeze more value out of their advertising budget, and SELL MORE CARS.

My suggestion? Consider attending the Automotive Analytics & Attribution Summit (AAAS). The first of its kind dedicated to online marketing analytics and attribution for the automotive industry hosted by Brian Pasch and PCG. Brian Geitner, President of Cox Automotive Media Solutions Group will be there along with my boss (actually, my boss' boss' boss' boss), John Clavadetscher and a veritable who's who from both the vendor side and the dealer side of retail automotive.
November 8th and 9th - Boca Raton, Florida
The Automotive Analytics & Attribution Summit

Last edited: