• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

YIKES! Autotrader Referral Traffic falls off a cliff in July 2018

Apr 13, 2012
Awards
First Name
George
Noticing a sharp drop in Referral traffic from Autotrader.com for my dealers across the country. Is everyone else seeing the same thing? Here is a YTD snapshot, with comparison to Cars.com and CarGurus.com. Have tried investigating causes, maybe their recent changes in SRPs, VDPs, etc. Any other ideas?

b9305e_c975590a4ca94d2db073e37d1ab8e366~mv2.jpg

• Useful
Reactions: Alex Snyder
July ATC referrals.JPG Indeed it did George. The third week of June to be more exact. Actually, I would venture to say June 22nd. About a 75% decrease in referrals. The link to the dealer's page was never prominent on the ATC VDP, but now it is closer to the bottom. You can also see it affected both mobile and desktop, so it's across the board. This is a weekly breakdown.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's pretty funny! And here's some data to back that gif up. CarGurus just absolutely laying waste to everyone organically.

oSFugNI.jpg

CarGurus
JV9y7Jh.jpg

ATC
6phv10f.jpg

Cars.com
6Wd9c8j.jpg

I think the referral issue is more of a VDP layout as George has suggested. Their traffic remained pretty steady this year so far.

It's a mobile tracking issue on their end, look at your source urls for m.autotrader.com and July is sparse if not bare.

Not sure exactly when this happened, but comparing May to June we saw a 30% decline, so that would make me think somewhere in later part of June there was a change in their tracking methods.

I'd guess (hope) they're trying to fix this issue? I emailed them but only got this reply..

--
Thanks for your inquiry, we are diligently working on the issue. :)

giphy.gif

-ATC Analytics Department

• Useful
Reactions: Alex Snyder
It's a mobile tracking issue on their end, look at your source urls for m.autotrader.com and July is sparse if not bare.

Not sure exactly when this happened, but comparing May to June we saw a 30% decline, so that would make me think somewhere in later part of June there was a change in their tracking methods.

I'd guess (hope) they're trying to fix this issue? I emailed them but only got this reply..

--

giphy.gif

-ATC Analytics Department
Hey Mike! You may be right, but I think it is due to the change they made on the their VDPs, moving the dealer website link from the top of the page to nearly the very bottom. This was confirmed on LinkedIn by an Autotrader rep. I checked the referral links, and they all seem to work fine. They are not UTM-tagged, but just straight referrals so GA sorts that out fine.

The m.autotrader referral links are likely down so sharply, since the mobile shopper is less willing to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page vs. the desktop shopper. On desktop it is maybe 4 page scrolls to get to website link, on mobile about 11-12 scrolls.

Reactions: Steve Stauning

--

Do you think they even knew? Or that this was quietly being worked on? The kind of traffic they're dealing with, it should have been a red flag within the first 72 hours.

Love the gif too! I've got to concentrate...concentrate...concentrate...Now pinch hitting for Pedro Borbon...Manny manny...Mota mota

Reactions: mikesayre